Shred Station’s team is taking on a new task. This year, they’re aiming to raise enough funds to plant 10,000 trees by the end of 2022*.
How will the 10,000 tree challenge work?
Working with tree-planting partners across the globe, Shred Station has already planted trees across six continents. Our 10,000 tree challenge team will work together to raise funds to continue these efforts and will do so by organising numerous fundraising activities throughout the year.
Each activity will see different members of staff working together to meet the same goal of raising enough money to fund the planting of 10,000 trees.
Some of our tasks include:
The Great Shred Station Bake Off – fundraiser complete
Fifteen of Shred Station’s staff members went head-to-head in a baking battle. They sold their bakes to raise money for the 10,000 tree fund. Each bake was scored anonymously on presentation, creativity, taste and texture. With results so close at the top, we decided everyone was a winner. The Bake Off planted 921 new trees in Kenya.
Easter Egg Raffle – fundraiser complete
We raffled off a GIANT Shred Station Easter egg to all of our employees. Our very lucky Operations Coordinator, Darren, won the egg. The raffle planted 470 new trees in Madagascar.
A bowling tournament – fundraiser complete
Putting the fun back into fundraising, our staff took to the lanes to try out their chances at being the Shred Station bowling champion. With an entry fee per bowler, the winner was due to take home half of all entry fees. The other half was set to go towards the 10,000 trees fund. Our Managing Director, Simon, won the bowling tournament and very generously donated his winnings to the 10,000 Tree Fund too! This meant our bowling tournament raised enough money to plant 1,204 new trees in Mozambique.
A Pie Face Day – fundraiser complete
Four company directors risked a pie in the face to raise money for our 10,000 Tree Fund by collecting donations in physical and virtual jars. The director with the most money in their jar by the end of the challenge received a pie in the face, and you can see the footage here! This challenge raised enough money to plant 585 new trees in Nepal.
A 2,000-mile challenge – fundraiser complete
In November 2021, Shred Station staff covered over 1,000 miles by running, walking, swimming, rowing and cycling every day across the month. The team raised enough money in aid of Rainforest Trust UK that they were able to protect 370 acres of rainforest. Our staff took on the same challenge again but with double the mileage. This time, we raised enough to plant 1,782 new trees in Haiti.
Putting for the Planet – challenge complete!
On 18th August, our staff went head-to-head in a mini-golf tournament. Shred Station pledged to plant 50 trees for every hole in one, 5 trees for every hole in two, and 1 tree for every hole in three. With eighteen holes and eight of our Norwich team competing, there was the potential to plant a LOT of trees from this challenge. The team managed to fund 801 new trees from this event, with our Finance Director, Ross Akers, winning the tournament.
Plus many more activities to come!
Stay tuned to our social channels for regular updates and to find out how you can support our challenge.
*On 23/12/2022, the Shred Station team completed their challenge and reached a total of 10,067 trees planted!
- 24/03/2022 – The Shred Station Bake Off raised enough money to plant 921 new trees in the Kijabe Forest, Kenya.
- 19/04/2022 – Our giant Easter Egg raffle raised enough money to plant 470 new trees in the Antsanitia Mangrove, Madagascar. The site is just 15 miles north of the regional capital Mahajanga.
- 29/04/2022 – Our Bowling tournament raised enough money to plant 1204 new trees in Mozambique with Eden Reforestation Project’s Maputo Bay Reforestation Initiative.
- 21/06/2022 – Our Pie Face Day raised enough money to plant 585 new trees in Nepal’s Chitwan National Park region.
- 1/07/2022 – Our 2,000-Mile Challenge raised enough money to plant 1,782 new trees that support agroforestry projects in Haiti.
- 18/08/2022 – Our Putting for the Planet challenge meant another 801 trees went towards our total. These will be planted in Madagascar, in the Antsanitia Mangrove once again.
- 07/10/2022 – Our staff took on an escape room, with 100 trees pledged for every team member who escaped. Four escaped, so that’s another 400 trees! These trees will be planted in Nicaragua’s Bosawas Biosphere Reserve.
- 31/10/2022 – The Shred Station head office team’s Halloween fancy dress day raised enough to plant 560 new trees in Nicaragua.
- 02/12/2022 – The Shred Station ‘Painting for the Planet’ challenge raised enough to plant 825 new trees in Nicaragua, also in the Bosawas Biosphere Reserve.
- 02/12/2022 – Our festive Bake Off raised enough to plant 1,490 further trees in the Bosawas Biosphere Reserve.
- 13/12/2022 – By celebrating our own Christmas Jumper Day, we raised enough to plant another 242 trees in Nicaragua.
- 20/12/2022 – Our World Cup Sweepstake raised enough to plant yet another 611 trees in Nicaragua.
- 23/12/2022 – Our Christmas Sweepstake raised enough to plant 176 new trees.
Total trees as of 23/12/2022 – 10,067.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive alerts about new blog articles, data protection advice, and Shred Station news.