A key element of our corporate social responsibility efforts is the constant consideration of how we impact the environment around us, and how to prevent any ecological damage.
At Shred Station, minimising our environmental impacts has always been one of our top priorities. After many years of investing in ways to reduce and offset our emissions, in January 2019, we achieved official CarbonNeutral® certification. Through various projects, as mentioned below, we were able to offset our greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero. This assures our customers that the ways we operate aren’t harmful to the planet. There are many other ways we safeguard the world around us, too.
Here are some ways we are working towards a more sustainable future.
- Shred a Tonne, Plant a Tree – We have planted over 4,500 trees on our customers’ behalves as part of our Shred a Tonne, Plant a Tree scheme.
- Recycling – We have a strict Zero to Landfill policy. We recycle 100% of the paper we shred at UK mills. All other materials are either recycled, made into Refuse Derived Fuel, or sent to Energy from Waste Plants. There, the materials are incinerated to generate energy for the National Grid.
- Solar-Powered Head Office – Our head office and Norwich shredding depot run entirely on solar power.
- Eco-Friendly Trucks – Our fleet is comprised of ultra-low emissions vehicles, all adhering to Euro 6 Emission Standards. We are also trialling electric trucks.
- 10,000 Tree Challenge – Throughout 2022, our Charity Challenge Team planted 10,067 new trees. They achieved this goal by participating in lots of different fundraising activities.
- ACT UK – We are working with UKFT on the ACT UK Project. The £4m project aims to revolutionise textile recycling in the UK.
The carbon offsetting projects we have supported since 2019 include:
- Uganda Community Reforestation Project – As part of our CarbonNeutral® certification, we have chosen various projects to offset our carbon emissions. In 2019, we chose the Uganda Community Reforestation Project.
- West India Wind Project – For 2020, we committed to offsetting our emissions through various power portfolio projects. The projects involve carbon finance investments into renewable energy projects in India – one world’s biggest polluting countries.
- The Gobi Wind Power Project and the West India Wind Project – In 2021, we supported the Gobi Wind Power Project in China and the West India Wind Project as part of our CarbonNeutral certification. China and India are two of the world’s biggest polluters, so renewable energy investments in these countries are vital for displacing energy that would otherwise be drawn from non-renewable resources such as coal and other fossil fuels.
- The Fuxin Wind Project – In 2022, we again chose to support a renewable power project as part of our CarbonNeutral certification. We supported the Fuxin Wind project in China.
- The Zhaoyuan Xinlong Shunde Project – In 2023, we’re supporting the Zhaoyuan Xinlong Shunde wind farm in China’s Heilongjiang province.